6.19.2009

Why?!?! OMG, Why?!?! *Helpless Sobbing*

Ok, Target (I know, I know) sent me a coupon for 10% off anything left on our registry.

I think about it a moment and decide to check out the camcorders.

Only to take one look at the menus on this page and leave.

Seriously, Target, who does your IA and menus? The people who write Encyclopedia Britannica?

Blogger likes to super-shrink images, so here's the text of the menu:


  • All Cameras
  • All Digital Cameras
  • All Digital Cameras + Camcorders
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brown
  • Camera Accessories
  • Camera Film
  • Cameras + Camcorders Bestsellers
  • Compact Digital Camcorders
  • Compact Digital Cameras
  • Digital Memory
  • Digital SLR
  • DVD Camcorders
  • Extra Value Bundles
  • Fashion Color Cameras + Camcorders
  • Green
  • Hard Drive + Memory Card Camcorders
  • High Definition Cameras + Camcorders
  • Image Stabilization
  • Instant Cameras + Accessories
  • Kids' Digital Cameras + Camcorders
  • Large LCD Screens
  • MiniDV Camcorders
  • New Arrivals in Camcorders
  • New Arrivals in Camera + Camcorders
  • New Arrivals in Cameras
  • Pink + Purple
  • Point + Shoot Camcorders
  • Pre-Owned Cameras + Camcorders
  • Red
  • Silver
  • Waterproof Cameras
  • White
  • Yellow + Orange
So, ok, a couple of questions for Target's IA team (who obviously have never recovered from the accessibility lawsuits).

Why is camera film a link UNDER camcorders? Camcorders may use (yikes, if they are super old) tape, but they don't use film.

What if I want a Yellow, New, Camcorder that's Waterproof? Assuming I can even deal with your 36 item menu, how do I ever find something specific?

All the Target.com menus are like this. You do something that sounds simple and get this overwhelming flow of options that just confuses things.

I have no idea what I want, and Target.com has proven to me that their site isn't going to help. The thing is, even if I was dead-set on using that 10% off coupon, I might do the math and decide that a site that ships stuff for free *and* helps me find things is worth more than researching something on a site I can actually use and then coming back to Target.com....

Link to the page above, for the record: http://www.target.com/Camcorders-Digital-Cameras-Electronics/b/ref=sc_fe_l_1/188-3747068-6653066?ie=UTF8&node=1193626

No comments: