12.28.2006

CNN.com Does Something Right...


This interactive poll on CNN.com does one thing absolutely right:

After the user drags a picture over to the side to register a vote, the source image goes white.
It sounds simple but it's a concept so often missed in design - when a user does something, give them simple visual feedback. When a user can't do something, give them simple visual feedback.
I hate links that don't underline. I know I've been guilty myself of being lazy and using a prefab CSS file that doesn't underline. I still hate links that don't underline as well as links that don't change colors. Why? When a user does something, give them simple visual feedback. When a user can't do something, give them simple visual feedback.
As designers we so often forget that the coolest site in the world is only worthy of hitting the recycle bin if no one can use it.
I used to use this analogy about a house with no bathrooms or kitchen or closets or doors (because the architect didn't think they were cool looking.) I don't use it anymore because to many groups I've spoken to, well, don't really know for sure what an architect OR a designer do and don't get it. It still holds. Bathrooms (and underlined links) are ugly-- so why do you need them? You need them because someone has to live in your beautiful house and someone has to use your peachy keen website!

No comments: