2.15.2009

I Am Selected As Gmail Guinea Pig

Yesterday, while logged into Gmail, I saw this:





The red text (a little small here) says, "Import mail & contacts Test."

I became very excited! At last, a way to import my old Outlook PST files. And then, thinking, not just my Outlook files -- the Thunderbird (Mozilla) files... the old Netscape mail files... wait, I think I have old mbox (pine) files...and Eudora, oh sweet, old Eudora files.

Alas, 'twas not to be.

Gmail is only testing importing from these:

aim.com
aol.com
aol.fr
caramail.fr
clear.net.nz
cox.net
comcast.net
cs.com
earthlink.net
freenet.de
freeserve.co.uk
gmx.at
gmx.ch
gmx.de
gmx.net
hotmail.com
hotmail.co.uk
hotmail.de
hotmail.fr
Ihug.co.nz
juno.com
laposte.net
live.com
lycos.co.uk
msn.com
netscape.com
netzero.com
neuf.fr
optoonline.net
optusnet.com.au
orange.fr
orangehome.co.uk
orcon.net.nz
paradise.net.nz
rr.com
slingshot.co.nz
sprint.ca
sympatico.ca
tiscali.co.uk
verizon.net
voila.fr
wanadoo.co.uk
wanadoo.fr
web.de
worldnet.att.net
yahoo.com
yahoo.co.uk
yahoo.co.in

Before Gmail I didn't USE webmail... I used Pine for online access!

Alas, my heart is broken.

However, I am pleased to note the forum set up just for telling Google what isn't working (or in one case, what is typoed) has 35 posts. And 4 of them are about importing old files. (Ok, one is mine).

I didn't see anything else that was the same request over and over again... so maybe someone will listen. Maybe.


I also noted that whatever nerd-factor4 gets one selected for Gmail feature testing also leads to other users besides me wanting more than just Outlook files.. someone else posted Mbox files and Thunderbird long before me.

I do seem to be the only one with mail still stuck in Netscape and Eudora files. ;>

God, now that I think about it, I probably have old AOL exports, too. (Hey, in 1995 that was the only way to get dialup over Christmas break!)

No comments: