4.29.2008

Usability for All

In case you missed any of my previous 8,043,343 posts on usability, like this one, I think it is a mistake to design and plan for only a handful of your users.

Well, contemplating Ajax and accessibility has led to some interesting discussions.

Someone else has put a lot more time into this topic than I have, you can read his piece: http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/stop-using-ajax/

The title sort of gives it away.

A few excerpts, and I was right there with yah, baby, until the last one....

So let’s take the situation as read and move on to an interim conclusion: this problem has not been solved, and in my opinion, until such time as it is, Ajax techniques should not be considered suitable for widespread use.

It's really not okay to leave groups of people behind, simply because they no longer fit your model of what a user is. Still, I appreciate that neither is it palatable to delay useful progress and development, if other groups of people can benefit from it.
...........

Meebo and Google Maps need Ajax to work, and so I have no real criticism of them, and accept that the pure accessibility issues are (as far as I can think) unsolvable for now.
............

In 2293, in his opening speech to the peace conference at Camp Khitomer, the Federation president spoke these insightful words...

That last one, did you really need to go there?

No comments: