10.04.2007

I'm a Bitch (or a Saint)

From: **Me**
Date/Time: Thu Oct 04 08:22:41 CDT 2007
(They cut the first half of my email?)

Ok, this javascript loads VERY late in the page load.

So this is what happens to a user familar with the site:

Type login name.

Tab to password box. Looking generally in direction of keyboard.

Look up, see the following
Login Box: LastHalfofPassword+UserName
Password Box: firsthalfofpassword

Why does this happen?

I'm pretty sure you have a "helpful" script which moves the cursor to the login box.

However, it fails to a)check to see if the cursor is ALREADY in the login or password box or b)load at the beginning of the page.

Basically in order to not have my login screwed up each morning, I have to wait for every single image on the page to load.

This takes like a minute on my network. I don't want to. You're being so helpful you breaking your own system. Please fix.

Should be easy. Either detect the cursor location before changing focus, or load the script earlier. Or just speed up the whole page.



From: **My Bank**
Date/Time: Thu Oct 04 01:55:26 CDT 2007
Dear Mrs. Thompson,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding **My Bank**.com. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please perform the following steps:

JAVA:
1. Go to Start
2. Click on Control Panel
3. Click on Java
4. Click on Settings
5. Click Delete Files
6. Click OK7.
Open a new browser

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x
(Windows)Tools> Delete Browsing History
Click on Delete All
Click on OK
Click on Delete Cookies
Click on OK
Click on Delete Files
Place a check mark next to (Delete all offline content)
Click on OK
Click on OK to close internet options window
Close browser
Open a new browser and log on to 'www.**My Bank**.com'

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
(Windows)Tools>Internet Options
Click on Delete Cookies
Click on OK
Click on Delete Files
Place a check mark next to 'Delete all offline content'
Click on OK
Click on OK to close internet options window
Close browser
Open a new browser and log on to www.**My Bank**.com

If you need further assistance, please contact us by e-mail using the 'Contact Us' feature at **My Bank**.com, or you can call Website Support at 1-800-xx-xxxx, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thank you,**My Bank**



From: **Me**
Date/Time: Thu Oct 04 02:03:43 CDT 2007

I realize your default answer on everything is to tell people to delete all their cookies, but I use cookies for productivity, and really don't want to delete them.

Additionally, this isn't a cookie or offline content issue.

I've been a web developer for 13 years.

I recognize javascript change focus when it's done to me.

Bah.


From: **My Bank**
Date/Time: Thu Oct 04 04:17:55 CDT 2007
Dear Mrs. **me**,

We appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback. Your comments will be forward to our Technical Support Team.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you need further assistance, please contact us by e-mail using the 'Contact Us' feature at **My Bank**.com.

Thank you, **My Bank**



And that was all I wanted... for someone to actually send the email to the web developers. I know you don't want to slam your developers with all kinds of crap (hey, I get the "webmaster" emails), but at some point you need to have a way to get messages to them.

I wish my health insurance company would hurry up and fix their site (my favorite is that logging on from IE only works on the second attempt. The first attempt works on FireFox, but not IE. Ever.)

No comments: