3.02.2007

USPS Stupidity: More design that is hostile to all that is holy

Anyone who knows me, knows I hate the verification code boxes.

Why do I hate them? Well, as the spammers get better, they get harder and harder for ME to read. I fail about one in three!

So, it really disturbs me to see them used when they absolutely, 100% are not needed.

Say this form. This form is for PRINTING (see big red circle) and mailing in your change of address form. It only works if you put a stamp and and envelope around it.

Nonetheless, the USPS has slapped a CAPTCHA style verification box on it.

Are we really worried the spammers are going to print millions of false address forwards (and this is the fifth screen of this application) and spend .39$ each to mail them???


The same application says that to move a family with more than one last name, you have to print the form multiple times. Does it let you go "back" and edit the form? Nooooooooooo. If you try and go back and click (since everything EXCEPT the name is the same), it wipes ALL the forms and makes you "agree" to the terms and conditions again. This made submitting four forms (husband + self x 2 addresses) lots of fun.

There is usability. There is experience design. And there is this. I don't even know what to call it. It's like "design that is hostile to all that is holy."

2 comments:

Yet Another Girl said...

This is the part where I point out that it's a site done by a contractor.

If the contract was written poorly, the USPS might not even have the right to say, "umm... that's not what we wanted...."

Yet Another Girl said...

And I'm hoping desperately that google fixes the many things I hate about blogger.

Stupid boxes with scrambled letters which I can't turn off among them.