9.21.2008

"Shoesability"

So, the side of me that likes looking at photography, and reads far too many blogs on design, and is always, always drawn to anything mixing amethyst and turquoise, really likes a certain brand of shoes.

And the thing is, if I wanted to, I could not buy other stuff and buy those shoes.

I think, by the way, the bright red sole was a freaking genius branding move.

However, I can't see wearing those shoes.

They lack in usability.

They are spikey, and tottery, but I could deal with that.

Most of all, though, they seem ill-suited for walking through puddles, avoiding ice, and occasionally stepping in the mud.

So since I live in a place that has lots of mud and occasionally ice, and I'm often balancing a laptop on my hip, those red-soled shoes just won't do.

Additionally, I have funny little feet. Not wide all the way, not narrow either.

I finally stumbled upon these shoes, and bought 3.

The top, what I and others see? Looks like a designed dressy shoes.

The underside? 100% grip.


It's usable AND pretty, so I buy lots. It's not quite as pretty as the utterly impractical product, but the advanced usability skill on the design team make up for it.

No comments: