12.20.2005

Libraries...

I will be a member of the Library Board.. and I won't have a library card.

This is the story. At this point it's all symbolic and I don't CARE.

I lived in town X when I first moved to DFW. Most of the apartments in town X are on boiler systems-- you don't actually get a water bill from the city.

While living in town X I went to get a library card.

So, they said, DL is not enough. We need bills in your name coming to your address. And they can't be credit card or loan, only utility.

Um, I say, I don't get a water bill....

Bring in your lease, they say.

You're insane, I say.

But I finally bring in the lease b/c I needed to research something.

And I get my library card, and check a few things out, but they don't have very many books, and there's soooo many half price books, I don't go back a lot.

Then I go in again, and they say, "oh, no, sorry this library card doesn't work anymore, we upgraded the system."

"Can I use it to get a new card?"
"No."
"Can I use it and my DL?"
"No. We need your lease again."
"Why didn't I get a letter?"
"We put statements in the water bills."
"No one who lives in an apartment gets a water bill!"
"That's not our problem"

[At this point I am quite annoyed because I am working as a database administrator and know exactly how not-difficult getting data dumps out of systems is. Or say, leaving one on until everyone is moved over.]

So I leave, without getting a new card. And move to town Y.

Several years go by. I buy a house. In town X.

I apply for the Library Board. I don't get on the LB, I get put on Communications because they think I can help.

Communications meets in the Library. Ok, I think, I can do this again.

So I go, with my DL and my utility bills (hah! now I have a water bill!) to get a new card.

"That will be 1$."
"For what?"
"Your lost card."
"You said I couldn't use that card! You said you couldn't get me a new card on that card! You said the new system couldn't even tell I existed in the old one."
"If you had it, I could give you a new one, but you don't so it will be 1$"

As it was, in fact, the same librarian (she's very distinctive looking), and this point I got really annoyed, esp. as they would not take a check, and I did not in fact, have a dollar cash.

And I haven't been back.

I think my #1 issue is going to be "Not Putting Barriers In Place Which Keep The Community From Reading Your Precious Books."

* * *
There are, in my experience, two kinds of librarians. a)i love books. don't you love books? have you read this? how about this? how about this? ohhhh, this one is good. have fun! read lots! and b)Don't you mess with my precious system.

No comments: